Monday, July 15, 2013

Paris Part 2

Sorry it's taken me a while to post more pictures! I've heard little tid bits of comments from different family and friends that they want to see more pictures but not having wifi is turning out to be a little more difficult than I expected. We typically don't have wifi anywhere else besides our hotel room late at night when we get back from running around all day and although I love you all so much, the last thing I want to do is post on my blog when my bed is calling my name. But here I am! FINALLY uploading more about Paris! 
Paris was so magical. Although it was only the 2nd stop on our trip, it was definitely my favorite spot so far. There really is an air to Paris that is magical and full of love. I'm not sure if I'm fabricating this feeling of love in the air becuase I've watched too many romantic movies about Paris, but I do know that I've definitely never seen more PDA (public display of affection) in my life. Literally people are making out everywhere haha. Can't hate em, they're in Paris and they're in love right? Anyway, it's beautiful. Everything about it.
One thing I do not understand is how French people stay so skinny! The typically French menu is not the healthiest thing by any stretch of the imagination at every meal you are served an entire French baguette to accompany your meal. I tried to eat very "French" the whole time I was there so i could really live the French life for the week I was there and I feel like all I ate was bread, cheese, sugary pastries, and lots of French onion soup. Not the most nurturious or skinny friendly diet. I don't get. The French have a secret and I want in!
Well between all of the different museums, sights, dinners, and experiences in Paris, I really had the week of a lifetime. I hope you enjoy the photos!



Our first day in Paris, we went to the Eiffel Tower

My gurlllssss

We decided it would be cool to build a human pyramid in front of the Eiffel Tower with our entire study abroad group. That is 15 people. It literally (not exaggeration) took us 3 hours to build this pyramid. We asked 3 different groups of people to take our picture, included a set of LDS missionaries. This is real li American Perseverance people. I think it's safe to say we're a pretty stubborn bunch. But we had bonding time right? Enjoy a few of the 45 pictures that where taken in attempts of the human pyramid.

(Please just admire the splits the guy in the middle is doing haha)



Half way through we gave up on the entire group and decided to be happy with some of our group standing on the sides.
That wasn't good enough though so we went at it again...

At the end of the day we had to accept defeat. We did have an afternoon full of laughs, strained muscles, and tons of Parisians staring at us like crazy Americans. 



More at the Eiffel Tower

After we finished building our pyramid, we decided to take a walk to the Arc Du Triomphe


I'd like to give a shout out to Mat Stowell right now and tell everyone to go look up the clip from European Vacation that talks about the round about that goes around the Arch. It is literally a 8 lane merge that is a mess while people are driving around the arch. It's a headache and a huge accident waiting to happen. The video is hilarious, go watch it. The arch is gorgeous. Created in 1806, the intricate detail and sculpting on the arch is very glamerous and triumphant, perfect for the Arc De Triomphe.Ha


Later that night on the first day, we decided to go up the Eiffel Tower. We started our climb up the Tower at dusk so we could both get the day time view and nighttime view. This was the perfect first day in Paris.


Pictures just don't do this view justice.


Day 2 in Paris we had briefings at a branch of the UN called UNESCO. We took a tour of this building and ended up with the best picture of Paris!


On our way home from the briefing, we stopped at the this awesome church, I honestly can't remember the name of it (we've seen a lot of churches) but I do know Napoleon is buried here! 


The original Moulin Rouge :) ahhh just love that movie so much.

Sacre Coeur aka the church on the hill.

The view from Sacre Coeur



Best Gelato in France

We also took a tour of the Paris Catacombs. It was creepy to say the least but absolutely fascinating. You have to travel 174 steps underground to travel through the 1 mile long catabombs that were created in the 1700s to help clear out the overcrowded cemeteries of Paris



Yup those are bones and skulls of actual people. 

On a happier note--the place I was looking forward to most in France, Laudree!!!!


I was one happy girl with my macaroons! 

The Eiffel Tower sparkling at the top of the hour, it was seriously magical.

Going out in Paris for Bastille Day! (Their version of 4th of July for America!)

I had major fat girl moments in Paris almost everyday... Best French Onion soup!

This city was magical... Now off to Switzerland!!

 photo ScreenShot2013-06-26at111543AM.png

No comments:

Post a Comment