Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Swiss do it best

We left for Switzerland today and after we boarded our train I passed out and attempted to take a nap... Next thing I know, I wake up and look out my window to this picturesque view of lush mountains and water below. I know it's a silly comparison but I felt like I had been transported into the land of the elves in lord of the rings. It will literally take your breathe away with its beauty.
We stayed in this little sleepy town called Geneva. It was such a change of pace compared to crazy Paris and London and quite frankly, one that I needed. I've never traveled like this before and it has definitely been taking a toll on all of us to be constantly go go go. Geneva was just what the doctor ordered. We had two full days packed with briefings at the UN head quarters which was every POLI SCI student's dream....I'm a nerd, I'm fully aware. It was awesome to see the inner workings of what I consider to be one of the best international organizations in the world. 
Here are some of the highlights of Geneva....

Walking around the city on our first night

Geneva lake at sunset


After briefings the first day we decided to head to the Geneva's version of a beach...although I do love Switzerland, California wins best beach so far.

Tessa, Hillary, me, and Skjelse!


More of the city

Sitting in official UN meetings! Ahhh! I love it!


The whole group


Living out the dream of a POLI SCI kid... I even got an official badge!
The girls

Our last afternoon in Geneva we decided we had to do a little hiking in the Swiss alps so we found a tram that took us up the mountain closest to Geneva and hiked our way down. The view was absolutely breathtaking. 






On our way down the mountain, we took the wrong turn and ended up in this quaint French village. Luckily this sweet French couple let us use their bathrooms and pointed us in the right direction home. A one hour hike down the mountain ended up taking us 5.5 hours. Whoopss haha


Monticello- the cute French town
We ended our experience in Switzerland by having traditional Swiss fondue! What could be better!

I hope you fell in love with Switzerland like I did... Now we're off to Venice!

 photo ScreenShot2013-06-26at111543AM.png

No comments:

Post a Comment