Monday, August 5, 2013

left my heart in Prague

Even now, I am a little sad writing you about Prague just because I miss it so much. After it was announced to the group that we wouldn't be going to Morocco, we decided we should make the most of it by taking as many day trips as possible from Vienna to make up for our slight detour, so a couple of groups decided to buy bus tickets and travel to Prague! I was on the fence about going the entire time but I am so glad I did.

My cousin Ethan just barley got home from his mission from the Czech Republic and when I told him I was visiting Prague, he gave me a list of sights to see and sold me on my buying a bus ticket!
Our little group left early Saturday morning and after traveling, spent the entire day running (and biking) around Prague seeing all the sights we could in 24 hours!
This is some of the many reasons why I fell in love with Prague:


This little city reminded me so much of Switzerland. It was much smaller and less busy than many of the cities I've been in over the summer and I loved the old town feel that came with it. I guess it kind of reminded me of going to Swiss days with my family when I was a little girl. The city of Prague is so colorful. Both in architecture and also with the people. I honestly can't even describe why I loved it so much- I guess it was just one of those moments where you connect with a person or a place without even knowing why. Everything about Prague- the atmosphere, the art, the architecture, the people- I loved! 
I will admit, I was completely baffled by their currency. 1 dollar is equivalent to 150 fronces or something like that. Needless to say I had my calculator and currency convertor app out all the day long. 

 
From the top of Lobkowicz Palace 

St. Vitus Cathedral

Trdelniks are my new favorite thing! They are dough that is rolled on a stick and baked over a fire and then they roll them in different toppings! They were so yummy!



Old Town Square

Tessa and I in front of the Astronomical clock in Old Town. One of the only astronomical clocks still working today.

We rented bikes and took a ride around the city :)



Riding through the streets of Prague!


Dad this ones for you- check out that sweet car in the background! You can rent it for the day, I definitely thought of you 

This is the part that I feel very proud of! So our little group of 6 decided that if we were taking the 3 hour bus ride to Prague that we might as well spend the night there... So we stayed in a hostel! I know to some of you this may be silly but I am very proud of myself for staying in one. I went into this thinking that a hostel was basically a step up from a homeless shelter filled with creepy men waiting to steal my passport while I was sleeping so as you can image, I was pleasantly surprised when I found it full of teenaged and young adults that were doing the exact same thing as us- traveling across Europe for the summer. It was great. I met so many cool people from all over the world and that shared some of their stories from all the places they've been this summer. I loved it! The picture above is of our hostel- "The Blind Eye" (sounds a little sketchy doesn't it?) haha

I love Prague!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment